Τρίτη 14 Μαΐου 2013

IDIOM OF THE DAY :CALL

IDIOM OF THE DAY - {CALL}

1 'Don’t call us, we’ll call you'

[An expression humorously used to say that someone is not really interested in another person, especially having someone work for the other person]
I’ve been trying to get work from that firm for a long time, but they don’t seem to like me. -Don’t call us, we’ll call you, you mean? -I suppose so.
*Also Don’t ring us, we’ll ring you.

2 'Nature calls'


[I must go to the lavatory]
Sorry, nature calls, I must leave you for a moment.
*Also 'Answer (or obey) the call of nature'
I must answer the call of nature—I’ll be back in a minute.

3 '(Now) that’s what I call ...'


[An expression of great praise or admiration for (something or someone): often said in a surprised tone]
Now that’s what I call a meal! It was delicious, dear. / Just look at
that sunset! That’s what I call beautiful.

4 'There is no call for ...'

[There is no need to behave in such a rude way]
There’s no call for such bad language; we know you’re already doing all you can.

taken from the GLOBAL ELT ENGLISH IDIOMS DICTIONARY

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου