Παρασκευή 11 Απριλίου 2014

10 English Phrasal Verbs with TURN

10 English Phrasal Verbs with TURN | Espresso English:

turn around


turn-aroundChange direction and go/look the other way:



(while driving) “We’re going the wrong way. We need to turn around.”

Can also describe when a failing company/project/process starts to become successful:



“The new director was able to turn the school around – it went from being the worst school in the area to one of the top-ranked schools in the entire country.”


turn away


Not allow someone to enter a place:



“You have to be 21 to enter the club, so my 19-year-old cousin was turned away at the door.”


turn down


turn-down1. Decrease volume or heating/air conditioning:



“Could you turn the music down, please? It’s too loud.”

2. Not accept an invitation or offer (can be used for romantic dates, job offers, etc.):



“He asked her out to dinner, but she turned him down.”


“I can’t believe he turned down a great job at a bank in order to try to be a writer!”




turn in


1. Give an assignment to a teacher or supervisor:



“My son needs to turn his research paper in on Thursday.”

2. Go to bed:



“I’m exhausted. I’m going to turn in early tonight.”

3. Deliver someone who committed a crime to the police:



“The drug dealer was turned in by his own mother.”


turn into


Become:



“Caterpillars turn into butterflies.”


turn-into



turn on


1. Start a machine, light, or electronic device:



“When I get to work, the first thing I do is turn on my computer.”

2. Turn (someone) on = make the person sexually aroused:



“He says that girls with long legs really turn him on.”


turn-off



turn off


1. Stop a machine, electronic device, or light (for lights,
we can use TURN OFF, SHUT OFF, or TURN OUT; for machines, only TURN OFF
or SHUT OFF):




“Time to turn off the TV – you’ve been watching for the past three hours!”

2. Turn (someone) off = make someone lose interest, make someone dislike something (may be sexual, but not necessarily):



“It turns me off when my boyfriend tries to hug me when he’s all sweaty.”


“I don’t like that design at all. The bright colors just turn me off.”




turn over


turn-over1. To invert:



“Cook the pancakes for 3 minutes on one side, then turn them over.”

2. To transfer something to someone in authority:



“During the investigation, the police asked the company to turn over all their financial information.”


turn out


1. Same as TURN OFF or SHUT OFF for lights:



“When she finished her book, she turned out the light and went to sleep.”

2. Have an end result (especially a surprising one):



“I thought I was unqualified for the job, but it turns out that the company provides training – so previous experience isn’t necessary.”


“We thought the project was going to be a miserable failure, but everything turned out all right in the end.”




turn up


1. Increase volume/temperature:



“Turn up the volume on the TV – I can’t hear anything.”

2. Appear:



“The manager finally turned up for the meeting – 45 minutes late.”

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου